About The Synergist The Synergist is a social venture that addresses a growing need to…
We are hiring: Deputy of Financial Director Finance & Legal & Admin
About The Synergist
The Synergist is a social venture that addresses a growing need to collectively face societal issues by addressing broken or inefficient systems and accelerating societal (co-)impact.
With globalization, the digital age, and increased mobility, we now collectively have more knowledge,capability, and capacity to solve the world’s most challenging social issues. But complex issues can’t be solved in isolation. The sheer number, variety, and interests of stakeholders on any given topic make it challenging to focus everyone’s expertise and resources on a shared goal.
The Synergist is an independent, neutral backbone and incubator for societal issues. It brings together the right people, organizations, and institutions to focus on solving societal issues both personally and with technology tools. We foster an organized and collaborative environment that enables collective impact by co-defining a shared vision, goals, and strategies with members; bringing on board relevant partners; establishing and maintaining a transparent and balanced governance structure; coordinating and driving activities, and bringing to life concrete projects and solutions that have been shaped with and complemented by members.
The Synergist is a globally focused organization based in Brussels, Belgium.
2021 annual report: http://www.thesynergist.org/annual-report-2021
In your role as Deputy of Finance Director, you will provide key support to the Finance Director and the COO with an emphasis on helping to ensure that the financial and legal day-to-day activities run smoothly, on time, and to a high-quality standard. This means a variety of tasks essential to the leadership team and program management team, from bookkeeping responsibilities to advising on contracts, engaging with partners and collaborators, and handling other project work.
The role is a part-time position (80%) with the flexibility to discuss the best working days that suit the candidate and the organization, with a high degree of flexibility for hybrid working.
● Finance & Admin support
○ Handle bookkeeping tasks (e.g., creating, sending, and following up on customer invoices)
○ Booking of supplier invoices with analytical info (according to project code).
○ Timesheets reports building following Standard Operating Procedures
○ Manage the monthly accounting closing activities.
○ Preparing analysis reports on key project deviations to prompt and orient Program directors toward key decision making
○ Proactively identifying overall timesheet deviations, being the ‘guardian’ of the correctness of time allocations, and prompting team members to correct their data when necessary.
○ Updating Reporting tool Emasphere according to Standard Operating Procedure
○ Update and reforecast annual budget in G-sheet files
○ Document management/filing
○ Review team’s expense notes
○ Request/follow up customers POs
○ Payslips/Timesheets reports distribution.
○ Employee contracts
○ International setup/employee hiring
● Legal Support
○ Screening members/suppliers' contracts/Memorandums of Understandings
○ First reading of contracts: identifying red flags to trigger team action or legal adviser support.
○ Liaise with our legal advisers
○ Putting in place a contract review structure/trainings for the team
The successful candidate will be expected to:
● Have an educational background equivalent to a Bachelor's degree with 3-5 years of
working experience in financial/accounting/business controlling duties.
● Have a keen interest in shared value initiatives
● Have an excellent command of written and spoken English (French is considered a plus) and excellent communication skills
● Have prior working experience in a quickly changing business environment and be comfortable with working directly with senior-level employees (stakeholder engagement, partnership management, client service)
● Have maturity in handling confidential information discreetly (internally and externally).
● Have advanced technical skills (advanced user of MS Suite, Google Suite, ERP or CRM tools, bookkeeping tools, etc.) and be able to learn and adopt new technologies fast
● Have a solutions-oriented, proactive, and innovative approach with a hands-on attitude
● Have complete attention to detail, methodological and thorough, be not afraid of repetitive work, very well organized, and at ease with balancing many conflicting priorities at once
● Be curious and open-minded, open to new ideas, concepts, and people.
● An EU work permit
● Experience working in the healthcare or environmental sector
● Professional or personal experience in social entrepreneurship or corporate social
● Experience in EU and other funding systems for societal projects
● Fluency in one or more foreign languages
What's In It for You:
● The opportunity to work with global profit and not-for-profit players to address
societal needs (like patient engagement, precision medicine, women's health, rare diseases, etc.);
● The opportunity to join a dedicated, dynamic, diverse, and fun team that works to develop innovative and efficient programs to solve challenges that others ignore or have been unable to resolve.
● A high degree of flexibility to work from home
● The successful candidate who wishes to grow at The Synergist will have the opportunity to advance and grow with the organization.
See the origin story of the Synergist by Nicholas Brooke
Co-creation and collective intelligence in practice (Patient Engagement Open Forum)
Please send your your CV and Cover Letter in English to firstname.lastname@example.org